Here’s my story.
A year after launching my Cat Mama blog I wasn’t making any income. A fellow blogger recommended joining the Digital Nomad Wannabe Facebook group. I learned a lot about blogging from the Digital Nomad Wannabe (DNW) website and was able to correct some of the mistakes such as:
- starting a blog through a free blog hosting site
- blogging about personal stuff instead of important topics that folks really wanna read about
- Not having a set niche or audience I was writing to
But I still struggled with getting any traffic and Cat Mama making money. There was so much information I was paralyzed on how to act.
So, in August 2018 I purchased DNW’s Build Blog Freedom course by Sharon Gourlay. Build Blog Freedom walks you through how to increase traffic and blog income. Last month (February 2019) I finally earned my first income from blogging.
Here are some mistakes that I’m 100% sure kept me from making more income sooner with Build Blog Freedom:
- skipping over the importance of defining my niche – didn’t start writing to my niche until January 2019 (when I went back over the parts I skipped). I then had to re-do my previous posts which is how I made income in February
- glossing over certain parts of the course such as keywords, SEO, goal-planning, etc., to get to the “meat and potatoes” of the course. Well, you need all those ingredients in order for the recipe to come out right.
So now I’m basically playing catch up by going over the parts I glossed over earlier and you know what? It all making sense! Yeah…
So don’t be like me and wait a year.
May I also mention I’m suuuuper spend-thrifty because I’m old and I live on a budget. In other words, I didn’t make the decision overnight and a lot of thought went into it. But I’m glad I finally purchased her course. I have no doubt that I’m building a successful blog that will eventually earn the income necessary for me to live my best life.
Man, not convinced? Check out Sharon’s link building challenge from her website Digital Nomad Wannabe and see for yourself. Or join her Facebook Group DNW – Making Money from Blogging. The Girl knows what she’s talking about!
Click here and sign up for my monthly update and receive a free step-to-success PDF. Every month you will receive my monthly income report and updates on how well my blogs are doing. You can track along with me how taking the Build Blog Freedom course is impacting my blogs and my life.
Do you want to start a blog?
So you want to know how to build a successful blog, huh? This article is going to help you get started and push you in the right direction. I really believe a good start is very important – it can make the difference in whether your blog becomes successful or you end up quitting after a few months (or weeks).
What I found when I first started my blog was there was so much information out there that it was just so confusing. Are you feeling me?
This post is for you. The complete, clueless beginner who wants to know how to create a blog but don’t know where to start or even if you should. I’m going to share with you all the resources that finally got me heading in the right direction towards a successful blog. My goal is to save you time, effort and hopefully some frustration by pointing you in the right direction. The right direction is to success.
What is a blog
According to the dictionary, a blog is “a regularly updated website, typically run by an individual or group, that is written in an informal or conversational style”. What it’s not is your personal diary or musings about your everyday activities – that’s what Facebook is for. That was the hard part for me to understand. And maybe in the early days of blog websites, that’s what people blogged about.
These days a successful blog caters to a specific group or niche of people. The best blog sites are the ones that have established themselves as an authority – the main authority – on a specific subject or topic.
In order to be successful at blog writing, you must be willing to make it all about your audience. You are providing your audience with the most detailed and correct information possible on a specific topic or niche. And you’re doing it better than the next blogger. So much so that your audience is coming back to your blog for more, singing your praises on social media and yes, buying whatever you’re recommending to them that will solve their problem.
How to start a blog – where do I start?
Choosing a niche
Finding specific people to write to or defining your niche is the first step to building a successful blog. You gotta know who you’re writing to. To help you find your niche I recommend reading “How to choose a niche for your blog” from the Blogging Wizard. Take your time finding your niche. In this post, the Blogging Wizard discusses:
- why you need a blog niche
- what is a blog niche
- how to start brainstorming your niche
Please follow all the steps outlined in his post. It’s very important to complete this first step before you do anything else or invest any money in your blog.
Choosing a name for your new blog
Once you’ve come up with the perfect niche, now it’s time to come up with a name for your blog. A lot of thought should go into choosing a good name because your blog’s name will be part of your brand recognition. To help you in the process I recommend reading “How to choose a blog name you won’t regret“. In this article, the Blogging Wizard walks you through:
- 7 things you should consider before naming your blog site
- a formula for creating your blog’s name
- does your blog’s name translate into a good domain name
How to create a blog from scratch
Click on the case study, “How to Build a Successful Blog from Scratch” from Digital Nomad Wannabe. Follow her exact instructions on how to set up a blog. It is an amazing resource! In the case study she discusses:
- building blog sites from scratch – step-by-step instructions include buying the domain name
- the importance of an authority site
- updates on how her blog is progressing
- a free new blog checklist for you to utilize
What I love about her case study is that Sharon shares blogging tips on how to make money, her goals for success for the blog and how she broke down those goals into actionable tasks.
Read more about Sharon Gourlay and how she got started blogging – very compelling, inspirational story – by clicking here.
What’s next? How to make money blogging!
Okay so now you’ve created your own blog. Now it’s time to learn how to blog and make money. Here’s what I recommend:
- reading DNW – Digital Nomad Wannabe’s article “The Three Stages of Blogging Success“
- set your goals NOW – check out DNW’s 7-day Goal setting challenge. It’s free!
- blog writing tips: how to make money writing a blog with SEO. Check out DNW’s SEO 101 course (free).
- read “How to make money blogging – 10 simple ways that you can have success now“.
- Social Media 101 for bloggers
Now that you have your blog up and running, make the decision that I did and take Sharon’s course “Build Blog Freedom Fast Track“. This course is changing my life and for the first time since starting my blogs, I’m 100% positive that I can make a livable income from my travel blog “The Social Tourist” and my blog, Cat Mama. My only regret is that I didn’t purchase the course sooner. To get the best success out of her course don’t skip around. The course works best when implementing it step by step, as written.
Here’s what her course has done for my blogs:
- 6000% increase in traffic for Cat Mama and a 250% increase with Social Tourist since purchasing the course in August 2018
- my first real income in February
- helped me to define my niche for both blogs
- helped me not only define my goals but translated those goals into actionable everyday tasks so I that can see progress and know that the course is actually working for me (very important).
- feels good to go to Google Analytic and see live traffic on my blogs
- finally have an audience that engages with me by comments (yes, folks are reading my post which feels awesome) and joining my email list
But don’t just believe me – read testimonies from others by clicking “learn more” below.
Click here and sign up for my monthly update and receive a free step-to-success PDF. Every month you will receive my monthly income report so you can see how taking the Build Blog Freedom course is impacting my blog and my life.
Excuse me if I sound a little bias. But it’s hard not to be grateful when you realize that you’re not being handed a load of useless bullshit after paying your hard-earned money for a course that promises blogging success. Sharon Gourlay and her course Build Blog Freedom Fast Track is the real deal Holyfield; talks the talk and walks the walk.
However, if you decide that you want to go it alone without the course or you can’t afford the investment right now, the DNW website is a great source of free information. Be sure to join DNW’s Facebook group. There’s a lot of help available on there from Sharon and other bloggers.
I wish you the best success on your new blog!