*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
Cat furniture over the years has evolved from a wooden eye-sore spectacle taking up space in your living room (or spare room in your house) to a work of art that adds feline ambiance to the cat lover’s home.
Having cat furniture benefits you and your cat. The benefit of having furniture for cats is that it keeps the cats off of your furniture. But it also benefits the cat. Cats love a high perch. Cats love taking stock of their territory by getting up high. It’s in their DNA.
But what if you have a large cat? Where can you find the best cat furniture for large cats? In this article, I reveal:
- where you can purchase cat furniture for large cats
- the 9 best cat trees for large cats AND unique cat furniture options that you and your cat will love.
- the importance of picking quality cat furniture for your cat
9 Best Cat Trees for Large Cats
Amazon is my go-to for purchasing cat furniture online. Over the years I’ve gotten a number of great cat trees and accessories from Amazon. The key to making a good purchase from Amazon is to analyze the customer’s ratings before buying anything.
Amazon offers for sale a number of cat trees for large breeds and is a good source to start your search. To help you make the best choice I’ve come up with several options for the best cat tree for big cats for you to look at. These cat trees have good ratings and are priced competitively compared to other online cat product stores. If you are a Prime Member of Amazon, the cost for shipping is amazing (some cat trees are eligible for free 2-day prime shipping).
I recommend not wasting your money on cheap cat trees. For large cats, it is very important that the cat trees are made of quality material and are well built.
- Songmics 58″ Cat Tree Playhouse is very sturdy with a contemporary style that will compliment your living space. The best cat tree for multiple cats. Comes in light gray. For more information on this product, click here.
- Molly and Friends cat trees are sturdy cat trees especially made for large cats. And they don’t disappoint with the Simple Sleeper Cat Tree. It has a large bed, a cat perch for your large cat to nap on and is the most durable cat tree. The Simple Sleeper Cat Tree is made of durable material, high-quality carpet and solid construction. Comes in beige and sold by Amazon.
- The 56″ Multi-level Cat Tree with Scratching Post by Songmics. This cat tree with cat hammock and very plush perches comes in Smokey Gray and Light Grey (slightly more in cost). It is also the best cat tree for multiple cat households. Click here for more information.
Best Cat Tower for Large Cats
- The Bewishome Cat Play Tower with Scratching Post and Hammock has a well-balanced design and sturdy construction. The cat tower is composed of a good quality plush material that your cats will love.
- I absolutely love the cat climbing tower by New Cat Condos! The Large Cat Tower with 4 spacious perches is sturdy and made with quality plush household grade carpet. Perfect for the multiple cat household.
- The Midwest Homes Cat Climbing Tower is a 5 tier activity kitty retreat featuring a lounging perch, resting benches and a cubby hole. The Midwest Climbing Tower also features resilent scratching post wrapped in sisal for your cat’s scratching needs. This cat tree tower is ultra-sturdy and stands 50″ high.
- Check out this beauty from Tuft + Paw. The Milo Cat Tower is perfect for the multiple cat household that has large cats. The Milo has multiple perches, a crystal hammock, and scratching posts. This is going to look good in your living space and your cat is gonna love you! It is super sturdy and stands at 62″ high.
Read my article, “Should You Consider High-End Cat Furniture for your space? Absolutely!”
Best Cat Condo for Large Cats
Shop for the perfect cat tree condo for your large cat on Amazon. As the name implies, a kitty condo should offer your cat the opportunity to lounge (like all cats love to do) and offer enough height so that your cat can enjoy surveying their territory.
- New Cat Condos has a Cat Condos Premier for sale on Amazon. It comes fully assembled and ready to use right out of the box! Click here for more information.
- Looking for a cat condo that will fit perfect in a small apartment? Here’s one from Kitty City Mod! The Large Cat Bed/Cat Condo comes with a cozy cat bed and private enclosure. The cushy polyester pillow and fleese base is removable and machine washable. Kitty City Mod Large Cat Bed/Cat Condois easy to assemble and designed to perfectly stack in twos.
- The budget-friendly Go Pet Club F3019 23″ Cat Condo is perfect for the large cat who wants to lounge but doesn’t want to (or can’t) climb high. For more information, click here.
Best Cat Scratching Post for Large Cats
Satisfy your cat’s urge to scratch and claw by investing in a cat scratching post. Or invest in a cat scratch tree or cat scratch tower that addresses 2 needs for your cat; climbing and scratching. The following recommendation is for a cat post that is solely for your cat’s natural impulse to scratch. A scratching posts will keep your cat from using your furniture as a scratching post.
- AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post is a single pillar scratching post with a replaceable dangle toy. Its neutral color tone will blend in well with your home’s decor. This scratching post is perfect for that cat who loves to stretch along with clawing. This AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post is 35 inches high, making it perfect for the cat who loves to stretch along with clawing.
Modern Cat Furniture for the Large Cat
What if you can’t fit a cat tree anywhere? There’s just no space for a cat tree. Or you’re the creative type and you want your space and your cat’s space to have a modern vibe. Or both reasons work for you. I mean let’s face it. Cat furniture can be an eyesore. Never fear! There are a lot of cute cat furniture alternatives and modern cat trees for large cats solutions that would make perfect additions to your living space.
- The Kitty Cot World’s Best Cat Perch from Amazon is a great alternative for those of us who don’t have a lot of space. I purchased one for my cats and they love it for 2 reasons: (1) Their nosy behinds get to look out my windows and (2) it still allows them to perch high enough to survey the world.
- The cute wall perch by Urban Pet Haus is modern. It’s cute and could be mistaken for art if your cat isn’t lounging. Check Amazon price by clicking here.
- The Vesper Cat Tree is an elegant and yet practical cat tree that will satisfy your cat’s instinctual needs and the creative aesthetic needs of the cat lover. Click here for more information.
- Get your cat their own couch by purchasing the Paws and Purrs Upholstered Sofa Bed! Comes in Sand or Oatmeal. The Paws and Purrs Upholstered Sofa Bed will look great with your furniture decor. Click here for more information.
- Get your big furball a huge comfy Cat Bed by Best Friends. It comes in multiple color, covered in sherpa and is waterproof.
Cozy, warm and comfortable! Your cat will love it! And it’s stylish enough to blend well with your furniture. Perfect for cats up to 35 pounds. The sides of the cat bed are high enveloping your cat in warmth and comfort.
Your cat is going to love this multi-level cat tree and you will love it too! It has fully carpeted shelves and folds flat for compact storage. The perfect balance between modern art and feline functionality.
Oh my goodness, the Refined Feline Lotus Cat Tower will be a cool conversation piece for visitor of your home. But what’s more important is that this cat tower is beautiful and sturdy enough for a large cat. Click here for more information.
What to look for when shopping for cat furniture for large cats
Furniture for large cats, whether it’s a cat tree, cat tower or cat condo, should have the following features:
- Sturdy – Every aspect of large cat furniture; each level should be able to handle your cat’s weight without tipping over. All platforms on the cat trees for big cats and towers should be made of a solid wood foundation and large enough in width and length.
- High-quality material – make sure the cat tree’s sisal rope, faux fur and scratching posts can take a beating (and a scratching).
- Height – a tall cat tree for cats who like looking down on their world. If your cat is overweight or older make sure that you find a cat tree that won’t be difficult for them to climb.
Not all cat trees are created equal. Don’t be taken in by cheap cat trees that are on sale. Buying a cheap cat tree made with cheap materials will wear out eventually causing you to have to look for another one or could be a hazard for you, your cat and family.
How to Make a Cat Tree
Maybe you want to try your hand at a DIY Cat Tree. Why not make your own homemade cat tree? The blog “The Spruce Pets” article “9 DIY Cat Tree Plans You Can Get For Free” will walk you through how to build a cat tree and has cat tree plans for 9 different cat tree designs. Check here for more information.
Cat furniture is a great way for your cat to practice hunting behaviors, burn calories and relieve stress. A cat needs to be able to climb up high enough to survey their world. Cat furniture provides a way for your cat to do that. It provides a place for your cat to feel safe.
Just because your cat is big don’t mean it has to settle for less. Make your big cat baby happy and get them a cat tree especially made for large cats.
Have you found the best cat tree for your large cat?
For more information on cats I suggest reading the following articles from the Cat Mama:
- The Ultimate Guide to Buying the Best Litter Box for Multiple Cats
- Vomiting in Cats: When to Worry
- 35 Cool Things to Buy on Amazon under $25 for Cats (and Cat Lovers)
- Amazing Facts You Should Know About Your Manx Cat