*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
Finding the best top rated cat litter brands to buy for your cats (and for you) can be a little hard. There are so many different types of cat litter out there on the market. Cat litter prices can vary depending on the type of litter. It’s just plain confusing picking the best cat litter!
Cat litter smell is one of the big reasons why house cats end up being abandoned and strays. Remember however that it’s not the cat’s fault. Cat litter maintenance isn’t difficult and it doesn’t have to be time-consuming. In order to keep your cat from using other spots in the house as it’s litter box, it’s important to choose the best cat litter and keep the kitty litter box well maintained.
In this post, I break down 9 best cat litters you should consider using for your kitty’s litter box.
The best cat litter you should consider buying
In the interest of time, I want to reveal Cat Mama’s pick for the best cat litter.
- best clumping cat litter
- best dust free cat litter
- low tracking of cat litter when used with a great cat litter mat
- hypoallergenic cat litter
- best cat litter for odor
- cat litter reviews – 63% of customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Dr. Elsey’s scented cat litter 5 stars!
The best cat litter for odor control
A smelly cat litter box is a major problem. The use of a hidden litter box or the best litter box period will not be able to help mask the smell of funky litter. The best odor eliminating cat litter should not smell overly perfumy. A cat can get easily overwhelmed if the cat litter’s odor eliminating component (or its scent) is too loud. And for those folks who love a candle or oil scented home or apartment, you don’t want the scented litter combined with the scent of the candle or scented oil to compete or overwhelm you. Here are my recommendations for the best-unscented cat litter or odor control cat litter brand:
The Cat Mama’s reasons for picking Fresh Step Cat Litter Unscented:
- bacterial odor protection
- locks in liquid and odor on contact
- cat litter reviews – 65% of 602 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Fresh Step Ultra Unscented 5 stars
If you want a cat litter smell that is lightly scented and not overpowering, I recommend going with Fresh Step with Febreeze.
Best Cat Litter for Mulitple Cats
It is important that a cat litter advertised as the “best multi-cat litter” be able to perform at the optimal levels needed due to increase usage that a multiple cat household must contends with. What that means is it must combine the very best in clumping ability and odor control along with low dust and low tracking for it to be labeled “best cat litter for multiple cats”. Here is my pick for best cat litter for multiple cats:
Reasons why you should consider using World’s Best Cat Litter for multiple cats:
- best cat litter for odor
- flushable cat litter – environmentally safe
- 99% dust free
- good clumping
- 62% of 2,412 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked World’s Best Cat Litterfor multiple cats 5 stars
Please note: I’m currently using Fresh Step Unscented 42lbs. I love the Fresh Step Cat litter brand and I’ve been using ultra unscented exclusively for the last year. But since moving to a smaller space I’m starting to have a change of heart. I love that it’s unscented and my apartment doesn’t smell like a used cat litter box. But recently I’ve noticed that it doesn’t clump as well as it use to and my cats are tracking tiny pieces of used litter everywhere (including on my bed which is just gross). I’m convinced that Fresh Step has changed its formula recently. I’m in the process of test driving both World’s Best and Mr. Elsey’s cat litter. So far I’m pleased with both but as you know there can be only one!
Pray for my poor cats who are being extra patient with me and not totally acting out in frustration.
Best Non-Tracking Cat Litter
This cat litter uses a combination of Dr. Elsey’s classic litter granules and clay, making it a great non-tracking cat litter. And because it utilizes clay this kitty litter is virtually dust free. The only drawback: the bag is very heavy making it difficult to pour out. You will want to store it somewhere and not move it again. Ever. I recommend using a scoop or a cup to make it easier to get the litter out of the bag.
- hypoallergenic – perfect for the cat who have allergies
- Great clumping but you must use a lot of litter so clumps don’t sink to the bottom
- has cool stuff in it like flaxseed and rosemary extract
- the best dust free litter
- 67% of 13,744 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Premium Cat Litter
Best Cat Litter System
Tidy Cats cat litter system is the low drama way of maintaining your cat’s litter box. The starter kit comes with a litter box, scoop, cat litter pellets, and pads. The way it works is that the liquid is soaked up by the litter pad (on the bottom of the litter box) and the pellets catch the solid waste. Clean up is easier because you are only scooping out the solid waste. Thus, dustless cat litter and trackless cat litter. Wa-lah, no-dust cat litter!
Why I chose the Tidy Cats cat litter system:
- great for those who don’t have a lot of time to clean litter box
- all-in-one litter system
- not recommended for multiple cat households
- disposable pads that absorb urine and odors
- 63% of 4,606 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked the Tidy Cats cat litter system 5 stars.
Best Clumping Cat Litter
I found this litter’s clumping ability to be almost as good as my best pick for clumping cat litter (see below). The Clump and Seal litter gurantees that your house will smell fresh for at least 7 days. I’ve found that if you’re diligent about cleaning and replacing this litter you can go a whole month with out having to clean out the litter box.
Why I chose Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal:
- clumps very well
- excellent odor control
- low dust/low tracking
- 67% of 4,081 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal 5 stars.
Cat Litter Alternatives
The great thing about using cat litter alternatives is it’s a great way to combat the harm we do to our environment by using commercial cat litter. Using a cat litter alternative such as shredded newspaper can also be less costly than regular cat litter.
My reasons for choosing Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter:
- very absorbent
- no worries about cat tracking litter all over the house
- environmentally friendly
- 65% of 1,224 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Purina Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter 5 stars
My reasons for choosing sWheat All-natural Cat Litter:
- all natural – enviromentally friendly
- fast clumping,
- long lasting odor control
- 63% of 436 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked sWheat Cat Litter 5 stars
Do you and your cat have a favorite cat litter? Tell me about it.
Take a look at the following product guides:
- Guide to buying the best cat trees for large cats
- The best cat litter box for multiple cats that will make your life easier
- 12 best dry cat food brands you should consider for your cat