*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
What is the best cat litter? Finding the best top rated cat litter brands to buy for your cats (and for you) can be a little hard.
There are so many different types of cat litter out there on the market. Cat litter prices can vary depending on the type of litter. It’s just plain confusing picking the best kind of cat litter!
Cat litter smell is one of the big reasons why house cats end up being abandoned and strays. Remember, however, that it’s not the cat’s fault.
Cat litter maintenance isn’t difficult, and it doesn’t have to be time-consuming. To keep your cat from using other spots in the house as the litter box, it’s essential to choose the best cat litter and keep the kitty litter box well maintained.
What’s the best cat litter? In this post, I break down nine best cat litters you should consider using for your kitty’s litter box. I also discuss which cat litter is best in the following categories:
- all-round best cat litter
- the best cat litter for odor control
- the best cat litter for multiple cats
- best dust free cat litter
- best non-tracking cat litter
- BONUS: best cat litter for kittens
The best cat litter you should consider buying.
In the interest of time, I want to reveal Cat Mama’s pick for the best cat litter. In choosing the best cat litter, I considered several factors:
- best cat litter for odor
- best cat litter for cats with litter avoidance issues
- low dust
- best cat litter for multiple cats
- hard clumps
1. Overall, Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter gets a high grade from me for the best cat litter. According to Chewy.com, 92% of reviewers recommend Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract.
The best cat litter for odor control
A smelly cat litter box is a significant problem. Cat litter that doesn’t smell is substantial when you have a cat. The use of a hidden litter box or the best litter box period will not be able to help mask the smell of funky litter. The best odor eliminating cat litter should not smell overly perfumy. A cat can get easily overwhelmed if the cat litter’s odor eliminating component (or its scent) is too loud. And for those folks who love a candle or oil scented home or apartment, you don’t want the scented litter combined with the scent of the candle or scented oil to compete or overwhelm you. Here are my recommendations for the best-unscented cat litter or odor control cat litter brand:
- bacterial odor protection
- locks in liquid and odor on contact
- Chewy.com cat litter reviews – 91% of 348 customers recommended Fresh Step Ultra Unscented
- light Febreeze smell with excellent odor control
- extra strength cat litter for multiple cat households
- Chewy.com cat litter reviews – 94% of 1044 customers recommended Fresh Step Cat Litter with Febreeze.
Best Cat Litter for Mulitple Cats
It is essential that a cat litter advertised as the “best multi-cat litter” be able to perform at the optimal levels needed due to increase usage that a multiple cat household must contend with. What that means is it must combine the very best in clumping ability and odor control along with low dust and low tracking for it to be labeled “best cat litter for multiple cats.” Here is my pick for best cat litter for multiple cats:
Reasons why you should consider using World’s Best Cat Litter for multiple cats:
- best cat litter for odor
- flushable cat litter – environmentally safe
- 99% dust-free
- good clumping
- 62% of 2,412 customers who left a review on Chewy.com ranked World’s Best Cat Litter for multiple cats
Please note: I’m currently using Fresh Step Unscented 42lbs. I love the Fresh Step Cat litter brand, and I’ve been using ultra unscented exclusively for the last year. But since moving to a smaller space, I’m starting to have a change of heart. I love that it’s unscented, and my apartment doesn’t smell like a used cat litter box. But recently I’ve noticed that it doesn’t clump as well as it use to and my cats are tracking tiny pieces of used litter everywhere (including on my bed which is just gross). I’m convinced that Fresh Step has changed its formula recently. I’m in the process of test driving both World’s Best and Mr. Elsey’s cat litter. So far I’m pleased with both, but as you know there can be only one!
Pray for my poor cats who are being extra patient with me and not acting out in frustration.
Best Non-Tracking Cat Litter
This cat litter uses a combination of Dr. Elsey’s classic litter granules and clay, making it a great non-tracking cat litter. And because it utilizes clay, this kitty litter is virtually dust-free. The only drawback: the bag is hefty, making it difficult to pour out. You will want to store it somewhere and not move it again. Ever. I recommend using a scoop or a cup to make it easier to get the litter out of the bag.
- hypoallergenic – perfect for the cat who have allergies
- Significant clumping but you must use a lot of litter, so clumps don’t sink to the bottom
- has cool stuff in it like flaxseed and rosemary extract
- the best dust-free litter
- 86% of 4000 customers recommend Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Premium Cat Litter
Best Cat Litter System
Tidy Cats cat litter system is the low drama way of maintaining your cat’s litter box. The starter kit comes with a litter box, scoop, cat litter pellets, and pads. The way it works is that the liquid is soaked up by the litter pad (on the bottom of the litter box) and the pellets catch the solid waste. Clean up is easier because you are only scooping out the solid waste. Wa-lah, dust free cat litter!
Why I chose the Tidy Cats cat litter system:
- great for those who don’t have a lot of time to clean litter box
- all-in-one litter system
- not recommended for multiple cat households
- disposable pads that absorb urine and odors
- 63% of 4,606 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked the Tidy Cats cat litter system 5 stars.
Best Clumping Cat Litter
I found this litter’s clumping ability to be almost as good as my best pick for clumping cat litter (see below). The Clump and Seal litter guarantee that your house will smell fresh for at least seven days. I’ve found that if you’re diligent about cleaning and replacing this litter, you can go a whole month without having to clean out the litter box.
Why I chose Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal:
- clumps very well
- excellent odor control
- low dust/low tracking
- 67% of 4,081 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal 5 stars.
Cat Litter Alternatives
The great thing about using cat litter alternatives is it’s a great way to combat the harm we do to our environment by using commercial cat litter. Using a cat litter alternative such as shredded newspapers can also be less costly than regular cat litter.
My reasons for choosing Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter:
- very absorbent
- no worries about cat tracking litter all over the house
- environmentally friendly
- 65% of 1,224 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked Purina Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter 5 stars
My reasons for choosing sWheat All-natural Cat Litter:
- all natural – enviromentally friendly
- fast clumping,
- long lasting odor control
- 63% of 436 customers who left a review on Amazon ranked sWheat Cat Litter 5 stars
Bonus: Best Cat Litter For Kittens
Are you trying to train kittens to use the litter box? Dr. Elsey has a cat litter perfect for the cat parent trying to teach kittens to use the litter box. Precious Kitten Attract is the premium cat litter that has exceptional clumping abilities and is gentle on little ones’ paws.
Do you and your cat have a favorite cat litter? Tell me about it.
Take a look at the following product guides:
- Guide to buying the best cat trees for large cats
- The best cat litter box for multiple cats that will make your life easier
- 12 best dry cat food brands you should consider for your cat